Your role in this world is too important to neglect
The first 6 hours of play are crucial for any game. They must show the potential of the game and create enough hype for making the player to continue.
When the player enters for the first time, he appears in a random place of the board (or at a selected longitude and latitude coordinates if he had access to special information). His avatar is a 4x4 car that he can use to explore any square of the world (it is recommend to use the roads for traveling faster). He is considered as Globetrotter. He can travel along the cities, the mountains and the seas (in a ferry). He can observe the evolution of these cities, and discover how the economy works. In his trips he can find business opportunities: an unexploited mine of gold, an small town looking for a mayor, an offer for transporting fuel to a city, founding a port in a fishermen town for centralizing the local fish market, or an open call for a commuter rail line. He can also find a land for founding his own farm. Or finding some hidden partisans in a forgotten war and become their leader. Or controlling the narco cartel in a city with a corrupt local government. Or funding a church in a depressed region to gain followers and create a new society. Or he can just sell this information to other players, and become a Consultant. Many lifes are possible, and players are free to do the right or the wrong thing.
These are the 11 non-exclusive options:
1. Globetrotter / Consultant: The exploration mode is a way of living. It is also the opportunity for playing for free in an organic (and slow) way. Exploring the world allows for learning things, as where to find natural resources, or cities voting in elections for a new mayor. This information can be sold to other players.
2. Politician / Leader: Some cities need a new mayor, so the player can ask for a loan for paying the electoral campaign and control the city. His control is centralized in the City Hall, located at the center of the territory of that municipality. The wealth of a city depends on the natural resources located in the territory and in how well connected is with other cities, what motivates trading and industry. The familiar model of Residential, Commercial and Industrial Zones is used here. The player can define the permissions for other players to build in his territory: not permitted, or by paying a fee. To keep his influence in his territory, it is convenient to build social services. Public buildings serve to guarantee the control of the zone. If social services are not covered, other players can build a parallel system and ultimately taking him the control of the city thanks to the people's protests. For defending the city from attacks, a police force or military force can be created to patrol the region and prevent crime or spies.
3. Entrepreneur / Tycoon: After finding a business opportunity or an unexploited raw material (commuters are also raw material for a transport business), the player can ask for a loan and found the industry. This is done by building the corresponding facilities in the proper City Zones (mines, oil wells, sawmills, refineries, train stations, ports, fishing boats... more than 40 different choices). It has a cost as well as its maintenance, so the business has to be prosper. The player can only build in cities where it's allowed. He can build himself the transportation system for the cargo or using an already-built line by a predefined price.
4. Money Lender / Banker: Yeah. If the player have cash, he can make loans to other players under their own conditions. By paying a fee, we will act as third-party referees to guarantee the security of process.
5. Activist / Movement Leader: There is not democracy everywhere, so the way to control a city in some places is by creating a political movement and take the control by the masses. The player can ask for a loan to fund their HQ and start to control the city by substituting the local power creating a parallel social service system. It can be hard: local authorities ruled by other players can make it difficult. If the city is well governed, not many followers will join. However, in unattended cities more followers are expected. Followers pay a contribution to the movement, and can found industries that can help in their cause.
6. Spiritual / Religious Leader: A territory can be also controlled by founding a church and find local followers. If the player organize the city better that the local authority, he will take the control of it pushed by the masses. However, the player should expect some opposition. Same rules as Activists applies.
7. Dealer / Narco: The player is free to make his own choices, even if wrong. If the natural resource that he finds are narcotics crops, and he also finds a city with low control from the authorities, he can become a dealer. Drugs can be also used to debilitate other players' cities and present yourself as candidate for mayor to solve their crime problems. However, everything has a risk: if local authorities finds your cargo, you lost everything!
8. Partisan / General: There are many forgotten wars in the world. The player can join a militia and eventually becoming General if he success in battle. Fees can be asked for protecting a city and sustain the army. The conditions of the agreements relay on the players. Risks: people could prefer to die or escape before paying the fees, or a higher army can defeat player's army and loose everything.
9. Pirate / Pirate Captain: Yeah, you can buy a boat and attack other ships and take their cargo with you. However, you need to find a port that accepts and pay for cargo without making questions. Risks: you can be defeated or caught by the local patrols.
10. Smuggler / Capo dei Capi: It's a risky option, but the player can buy cargo without making questions and find where to sell it without making questions again. Of course it has the expected risk: you lost everything if you are caught. This is done by building ports, train stations or truck depots and accepting to buy the cargo deposited there by other players. The player should find the way to sell and transport the cargo to the industry or other players.
11. Student / Professor: If the player finds a university in a city, he can ask for a loan for paying his studies and becoming a professor in academy. His salary is not so high and he will have to pay the loan back. Eventually, he receives notifications congratulating him for his last paper.
As said above, these options are not exclusive. Any type of business is accessible to the player. However, if you are a famous pirate probably some people would not like to deal with you, or citizens will not vote you for mayor of their city. Anyway, a player can redefine his life and restart again just by moving to far places.
Cities are constructed as in SimCity. Transportation is done as in Transport Tycoon, following its model for the management of vehicles and transport lines. War is taken as in Age of Empires and The Settlers. Economy is a mixture of all of them (since economy is need for all of them). Three main differences: (i) It's a Massive Multiplayer game, so everything is happening in the same board; (ii) The equations behind are based on scientific grounds, developed by us and academic collaborators in the last decade; (iii) The game currency is based on Blockchain with a finite amount of wealth, and the business model is based on the management of the coins and the fees charged for every transaction; (iv) The virtual world is totally autonomous, players take the control of cities or companies or armies, but the world exists and evolves without the need of humans.